Retail Banking Careers
Retail Banking Careers
View this job in: Retail & Personal
Do you enjoy a fast-paced work environment? Are you upbeat and a good listener? If so, working as a Teller may be an ideal place to start your career. As a Teller, you’ll provide outstanding, personalized service for customers.
In a typical day, you'll accept cash or checks for deposit, cash checks, and issue funds like money orders and traveler's checks. You'll listen to customer needs and recommend products or services that meet those needs such as loans or other accounts. Teamwork is vital as you work with other Tellers and refer customers to the appropriate team member for some customer needs. You’ll educate customers on the various technologies like online banking to make banking more convenient.
To get this job, you'll need to have a high school diploma or equivalent. You will also need to be able to do basic math functions. You'll need to be comfortable working with customers in a friendly manner. It's key to be able to handle large amounts of money and maintain the privacy of your customers. At least 6 months of customer service experience and previous cash handling experience will help you get the job.
- Greet customers and make them feel welcome
- Process transactions for customers like deposits and withdrawals
- Engage customers in conversation to understand their financial needs
- Identify products and services to meet customers’ needs and refer to appropriate team member
- Educate customers about technology like online banking for their convenience
- Provide excellent customer service
- Work closely with other members of the team
- Comply with all policies, procedures, and regulatory banking requirements
Next steps for this job
Nearby training and education providers
There are number of institutions in the New York area that offer programs specializing in Financial Service.Learn more about New York trainers and educators.
Ready to see who is hiring?
New York City and the surrounding areas are the worldwide hub for Financial Services.See some of the primary companies in and around New York.
Need help getting a job?
If you need to ask some questions or get some help figuring out how to pursue, a handful of community based organizations are here to help.Find a nearby advising organization.